Monday, August 8, 2011

Seashell Hunt on Edisto.. Like Shopping for FREE Treasures!

So this past weekend was the Great CAMPOUT 2011! Let me tell you, Camping in August is HOT HOT HOT and I do not mean HOT in a good way. I mean MISERABLY, CANTCATCHMYBREATH HOT!



But let me start from the beginning...
We had had reservations since June for this weekend to camp at the Live Oak section of EDISTO STATE PARK Campground. Last Wednesday we hear Tropical Storm Emily is headed directly for us by Sunday. BUT.. that didn't stop us from our Great CAMPOUT 2011.

We had all the gear and headed out Friday morning. First stop was in Beaufort, SC. I hit Dollar Tree with my list and Vic went to Walmart with his! I quickly completed my list along with the funniest lil photo EVER (SEE BELOW! HE IS GHASTLY!)  I have seen these in PRICEY Gift Boutiques in downtown Savannah and loved that I found this one for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree!

 Handsome Man in Uniform or??? 



As you turn off for Edisto Island, there is this funky-do lil shop called BEFORE EDISTO. The two times I have been to Edisto before it was closed,.. but not this time!  We stopped there before heading down to the Campground. This placed ROCKED! So very cool! Full of antiques, primitives and Gullah folk art.








The owner was this nutty lil waif of a woman (I swear she was a ghost). I found these adorable four lil plates in a stack of $1.00 plates and a Fish Ceramic plate. The Ghostly woman told me that she and her business partner had bought the contents of a house in downtown Charleston on St. Phillip Street that had not been entered in 22 years! How cool is that! She had stacks of old linens that she had painstakenly cleaned but I just do not need. I cannot imagine entering a home that had been closed up for 22 years but I imagine it was an incredible adventure for those ladies!



My favorite of the plates is this lil German GNOME with Fairy plate!

We arrived to our campsite No. 105 around noon. We set up, ate lunch and headed for the beach. All of the beaches on Edisto are amazing but I must say the State Park beach is almost as great as Botany Bay that we discovered in June! 



The Seashell hunt is AMAZING! A new treasure with every wave and in every nook and cranny.  I love the hunt for the perfect Seashell almost as much as I do as shopping for treasure and actually would compare it to digging for treasure. I must have filled my JackO'Lantern Bucket four times. We learned that SHARK Teeth hunting is huge on Edisto! I needed my Reading Glasses for that.. We did find Three!


A lil Sea Turtle I found!

Me at the beach.


The bugs on Edisto are HORRIBLE! Flies, NoSeeUms, Red Ants and those damn Mosquitos! I hate them all.. and the HEAT .. Oh the HORRID HEAT! Sleeping in 77 degrees and humidity,, UGH! I did give it my best effort though. We did have an amazing Hamburger Grillout!








Saturday was another day.. We were on the beach bby 7:00am for more Seashell hunting! My hair had already had enough.. hence the bandanas and CURLS! (AKA POODLEHEAD)








 and then trying to stay cool! Vic is now calling me the ICE PRINCESS.. To fight the heat I put my feet in an ice bucket, cold towel around my neck, fan in my face.. HA! Very sad! Call me WIMP!



Dinner was the most amazing BBQ Chicken on Vic's new grill from The EDISTONION General Store! Vic fell in love with that place and will now never go to Piggly Wiggly on the island again. 

We had a few woodland creatures visit us! CARDINALS and more Cardinals!

The female

The Male
But most of all.. I just loved my SEASHELLS!



I can shop any where!! I found a cute blue bandana $1.89, EB Edisto Beach Keychain $2.49 and bumper sticker $1.99, and Purple Edisto Souvenir t-shirt $10.49 at the Edistonion.



By Sunday morning.. GAME OVER. We had had enough of the heat and the bugs! We luckily never had any rain!  Got up at 7am, packed it up, went to the SeaCow for breakfast and headed home!



Lesson learned? NEVER CAMP IN AUGUST :)

Oh I forgot..

HAPPY CAMPING!

No comments:

Post a Comment