Friday, March 2, 2012

The NIGHT AT THE CIRCUS.. aka LIBERTY Auctions at Pembroke, GA!

Last night was CRAZY! I had heard about the Liberty Auctions in Pembroke, Georgia months ago from my friend, Lonnie Ellis. Last night, I finally decided I would go! WHAT HAD I BEEN WAITING FOR? It was AN EVENT TO BE SEEN!


Liberty Auctions are every Thursday night 5 - whenever. They are house in double warehouses that are equal to about two football fields.  One half is full of rows of what I would call Garage Sale Leftovers The other half is furniture and collectibles.  Where do I begin?

We did a walk through of the entire place. Rows of JUNK! I am assuming the idea is to show up earlier and ramble through the boxes of junk. I made the mistake of wearing my best cowboy boots, jeans, jacket shirt and scarf. Would do better to where capris, t-shirt, tennis shoes for comfort and because it is  a bit dirty and there is a job to be done!

There were books, tools, toys, exercise equipment, vacuum cleaners, kitchen-ware.. STUFF.. JUNK! WOWZA! OVERLOAD!!

The room with the furniture was a bit more organized and tables of neatly arranged collectibles and nicer quality merch.  Two tables full of new MARY KAY Cosmetics, A table of Kathy Van Zeeland luggage and misc (I wanted that luggage), vintage knick knacks, glassware, framed pictures, wine glasses and a wine cooler,... it went on and on.  

The Auctioneer had already begun when I got there. They have a platform stage that they roll from row to row of STUFF with a microphone and a bottle of water. They sell that crap! Boy do they sell that crap .. Row after Row. If you want something in that particular row, you pull it out and hand it to the Auctioneers' minions. Who hold it up in the air. If it's the item you picked, you get the starting bid of $2 in that room.

I wanted the set of Turquoise and White 4-stack of old Pyrex bowls.  I went to $20.. they sold for $35. 
I wanted a small red Pyrex refrigerator dish with glass lid. I went to $8.. it sold for $9. This went on for hours starting at 5 pm.  A Honda Redwing went for $650, A new elliptical went for $75.

They had a diner.. A Greasy Spoon. I stuck to my lo-carb and had an open-face cheeseburger. Boring, I know!  $6!  They also had unsweetened tea (in the heart of SWEET TEA country.. like taking a crack addict down to the ghetto corner)  for $1.50 with .50 for refills.

The furniture and collectibles side starts at 8pm. I waited until they got to the collectibles tables and it was ON! What a spectacle around the MARY KAY Tables.. Loved watching the hens ruffle their feathers. 

I bid on a set of 10 ceramic slippers and I won that set for $10!  


I bid on a jade FireKing batter bowl and lost it to a dealer who paid $17.50 (Darn!).  Next, I had spotted the Kathy Van Zeeland 2 pc luggage set that was New w Tags! Interestingly, Polly had just lent me her new Kathy Von Zeeland 2 pc luggage to use for my England trip to see Logan in two weeks. Crazy huh?!  


Anyway, I could NOT resist! Started it at $5.  I won the pair at $20!!! WOW!!!  After that we pretty much watched the madness until I could not go on much longer.. 

I must mention the CAST of Characters at the Circus! DOLLY and STELLA! Too BUXOM Blondes that were WILD to watch. They ruled the auction. Then there was Black Hat .. he was determined to keep Lonnie from winning his bids. And then there was Black Shirt.. Yucky dealer dude who beat me out on the Fire King! Meanie!  I could go on and on! .. oh and Barbie with the Meth makeup! WILD I SAY!!

Exhaustion had set in by 10:30pm! Time to go.. which means now we had to stand in line to check out. We were not in line for 5 minutes when I saw an adorable Sugar Ceramic container from the Victorian era that I had to have ... I mean, who goes home with only two items! Needed three!  I won that item at $5.  SCORE!



So back in line to pay the total plus the Buyers Premium of 10% and taxes. My grand total was $41.20! Well spent! GREAT NIGHT!!

THANK YOU LONNIE FOR SHOWING ME THE ROPES and putting up with me for 6 hrs!!


KJ on the Zebra Throne!

'Til next time...


Happy Shopping!

1 comment: