Tuesday, July 19, 2011

If I Had a Million Dollars...

So you know that song.. IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS by the Barenaked Ladies? Well, today I decided what I would do with my million...

Last Thursday afternoon, while at the Bluffton Farmers Market, a vendor told me about The Pick Pocket Plantation in Beaufort http://pickpocketplantation.com/ and that I needed to visit on a Tuesday afternoon for their Farmers Market. Well, today was a gorgeous afternoon with crisp blue skies and temps around 88. I decided a perfect day for the 23 mile journey north up Hwy 170 across the Broad River and into Beaufort. It took me a few trips around town to find The Pick Pocket and when I did find it.. OH WOW!



What an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL Place! I wanted my mom to be there to see it.. and my sisters and my cousin Vickie and my niece Melissa and my Logan... 

This was originally the Trask Farm which, evidently, was a mainstay of Beaufort. It is now maybe 10-20 acres and right in the business district of Beaufort. At one time I am sure it extended in several directions as their is a Trask Parkway that runs behind the property and past the Marine Corp Air Station. It is just a neat place! You can tour the house (I did not and will save that for when next mom comes to town); you can walk the grounds you can peruse the market (only about 12 booths); you can watch the horses enjoy the sunny day! 


There were some amazing Chickens!

These funky chickens had some serious feather issues!

And incredible old cars!


I bought a couple of Scones $5, one blueberry and one cranberry-orange, from The Cottage booth (The Cottage is a fabulous restaurant on Calhoun Street here in Bluffton). And I bought some Lemon Basil for $1 from a nutty lil lady just because she was so eccentric and unusual and wow does it smell amazing!  And I bought an amazing Citrus Tea for $2.

From the front porch of the Plantation House

So an amazing place! And everyone should visit! I emailed the owner as soon as I got home to see if, by chance, he was planning on having a Fall Antiques Festival there this year... would be the PERFECT location!

Next, on to the Beaufort Goodwill where I found a Quilted tablecloth, $2.99, a vintage twin bedspread in pink and white with gingham lambs $2.99, a luggage rack for the guest room $7.97 and a gorgeous silk green cardigan $4.79.


Back to the million dollars.. and If I had it...
There is an amazing rundown place called The Lemon Island Marina on the Chechessee River as you head back south on 170 toward Bluffton. It looks like it has been out-of-business for years.  But.. if I had a Million Dollars..

I would buy it, renovate it, put in a Bait Store, Snacks and Drink stand, Gas Station for the boats, and a lil B&B for weary travelers that might want to come up on their boat or by land. I would have great music at an outdoor bar with a lil Southern Rock, sometimes live, playing every weekend.

And I would have an old fish camp (Google Beaufort County Fish Camps.. I discovered them in the Beaufort Magazine this past weekend! HOW FUN and great History!)


Ohhh.. If I had a Million Dollars....

HAPPY SHOPPING!

No comments:

Post a Comment